Rebuild small regional airport to improve facilities, expand use and improve safety. Airport supports an area seeing substantial population and economic growth.
Ulteig provided planning, funding search, engineering, surveying and project management services.
Project construction initiation date
June 1, 2014
The New Town airport was originally constructed in the 1970s, consisting of 21,500 square yards of pavement, three hangars. To meet the needs of the area, the airport needed to be completely reconstructed, replacing and expanding the runway and apron areas, allow for additional aircraft storage, bring sight distance for pilots up to standards, improve terminal facilities, and provide a plan for ongoing operation, maintenance and expansion.
Of particular note is that planning for the project began in 2011, with construction scheduled for 2014. However, funding for the project was redirected to a different airport in early 2014. Replacement funding was developed by New Town airport board members working with North Dakota state legislators. Material and construction bids had been previously arranged and project construction was initiated on schedule.
- Remove runway high spot with 2-3 feet of earthwork cuts
- Shift runway approximately 500 feet to avoid obstructions from section line road
- Replace and expand runway and aprons
- Relocate three hangars; add five hangar lots; add two hangars
- Replace temporary service terminal and sanitary area with permanent structures that include fueling station, and flight planning and pilot rest areas
- Replace electrical and lighting systems
- New visual approach aids to provide a guide to aircraft on approach
- Plan for future expansion of services, to potentially include:
- Aircraft mechanic
- Airframe certification business (Fixed Base Operator)
- Flight school
The project was completed on October 31, 2014, ahead of the November 1 deadline, and under budget.
- $2.5 million
- Funding provided by state and local agencies; no federal monies spent
Runway, aprons, general area
- 3,420 feet x 60 feet new runway
- 21,500 square yards of pavement removed
- 31,500 square yards of new pavement
- 40,000 cubic yards of fill
- 22,000 square yards of topsoil, stripped and reapplied
- 15,000 square feet of paint markings (completed in 10 hours)
- 24 acres reseeding on disturbed areas
- 5 inch asphalt overlay on 14 inch base
- 5 tie-down aircraft parking positions
Electric and lighting
- 19,000 feet new electrical wire
- 19,000 feet new ground wire and lightning protection wire
- 55 new edge lights