Substation Technical Manager Apply Now
Ulteig is currently seeking qualified candidates for a Technical Manager position for the Substation department in our St. Paul, MN office. This role will focus on leading a substation engineering team consisting of professionals with a civil and/or electrical engineering and technician backgrounds while also supporting substation projects. This person will interact closely with other corporate business units such as sales, marketing, account management and project management. The Technical Manager is a self-starting technical leader with expertise in leadership, communication, resource management, and consulting engineering.
This Position will be Responsible for:
Project Technical Lead - 60%
- Manages and leads all engineering activities during the proposal, design and construction stages of substation projects that are assigned.
- Provides substation project oversight, including managing engineering scope according to technical contracts, developing change orders, and maintaining project schedules.
- Directs and coordinates activities of several disciplines and Project Management group on a project of significant scope or a combination of large projects.
- Maintains high levels of quality and responsiveness to meet internal and external client requirements in alignment with company expectations.
- Oversees Substation design activities of team members.
- Responsible for reviewing project drawings, calculations & specifications, assumes responsible charge as needed.
Management Responsibilities – 30%
- Provides strategic direction, leadership and technical services oversight for employees on achieving individual, team, department, and organizational performance goals.
- Coaches, trains and develops engineering technical staff for growth and development opportunities.
- Actively manages team resource planning, individual performance reviews, training and professional development for team members.
Business Development Responsibilities – 10%
- Participates and partners with members of the Sales team and engineers throughout the organization to promote revenue growth and expansion of services with existing and prospective clients.
- Supports proposal efforts by developing, providing resources, and reviewing proposals by working with Project Management group and other departments.
- Maintains positive client relationships with existing clients.
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Civil Engineering required from ABET accredited university or equivalent
- 8+ years of experience in the Engineering field preferred
- PE registration is strongly preferred, ability to obtain within 1 year required
- Must be analytical, self-motivated, and possess the ability to work in high-pressure situations while maintaining a positive, enthusiastic attitude
- Strong analytic and information management skills
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, management, public and external agencies
- High level of initiative and demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with clear expectations and timeliness
- Excellent presentation and verbal/written communications skills
- Displays a high level of initiative and explores new opportunities while understanding the risk to the organization
- Proven experience in Microsoft Software Applications (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access) and additional software knowledge depending on specialty.
Why work for Ulteig?
At Ulteig, clients depend on us to deliver comprehensive engineering and technical services that strengthen infrastructure vital to everyday life.
We offer our employees:
- Competitive pay
- A comprehensive benefits package
- Casual work environment
- Flexible work schedule
- And most importantly, we are 100% employee owned
Working at Ulteig is more than a job, it means you will be making a difference. Our vision is to be widely regarded as the partner of choice for technical solutions in our targeted Lifeline Sectors®. We give you the opportunity to grow in your profession as you work on projects that expand infrastructure, build safer roadways and expand the power grid. Those are just a few of the ways the staff at Ulteig makes a difference every day.
If this sounds like the type of company you want to be a part of apply today!
Ulteig provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, veteran status, disability and any other legally protected status. Drug Free Workplace.